The weather is getting colder and it can feel like we’re living in Lapland at times! The signs of over-excitement become more apparent each day and it’s getting harder and harder to focus on anything academic.
But learning doesn’t have to stop on the run up to Christmas! We’ve got just the solution you can use to keep your class engaged in their maths whilst keeping Christmas special at your school.
Custom Added Extras – make the most out of this feature!
Added Extras are used in two ways:
- DoodleMaths will, from time-to-time, automatically add in a 15-question lesson to remediate a weaker area. On average, this is fortnightly.
- Teachers can assign and create bespoke custom Added Extras from the Teacher Dashboard, which can be used for pre-teaching, to support planned lessons or targeted homework, consolidating classroom learning.
Create your own lesson using Custom Added Extras and test your pupils’ knowledge of festive facts with a maths twist!
Simply log in to your Teacher Dashboard, head over to ‘Extras’ and select ‘Custom Extras’. Here, you can create your own lesson by adding a lesson title, description, and a sequence of multiple choice questions. Remember, the correct answer must always go in answer A and our clever technology will randomise the answers that the children see.
Once you have created your lesson, press save. You will be able to see the lesson you have created in ‘View Custom Extras’. You can then either set this lesson for whole class or for individual children.
You can do this by clicking on ‘Actions’ > ‘Assign Lesson’. You will then be given the option to select the time and date when you would like your lesson to appear and the option to assign to as many children as you would like. You can also share with your colleagues and spread the joy!
Here are a few festive maths questions to get you started! (note: the correct answer is not always A!)
1.There are 12 reindeer. Round this number to the nearest 10
A. 0 B. 20 C. 120 D. 10
2. How many Sundays are there in the period of Advent?
A. 3 B. 4 C. 5 D. 1
3. The probability that it will snow on Christmas Day is 0.5. What is the probability of it not snowing on Christmas Day?
A. 0.75 B. 0.5 C. 0.05 D. 0.7
4. Three brothers shared out 15 sweets. Choose the correct division sentence to match the number of sweets.
A. 15 ÷ 3 = 3 B. 15 ÷ 3 = 5 C. 3 ÷ 15 = 5 D. 15 ÷ 3 = 8
5. Christmas Day is the 25th December. What is the cube of the square root of 25?
A. 5 B. 75 C. 25 D. 125
6. If Christmas Day is a Friday, what day of the week is New Year’s Eve?
A. Friday B. Saturday C. Thursday D. Tuesday
7. Which is the shortest day of the year?
A. New Year’s Eve B. Winter Solstice C. Halloween D. Christmas Day
8. How many factors does the number 25 have? Only count each factor once!
A. 2 B. 4 C. 3 D. 1
9. How many drummers were drumming?
A. 10 B. 12 C. 11 D. 2
10. How many presents were there in total in the song “The 12 Days of Christmas”?
A. 12 B. 265 C. 364 D. 64
We’ve just released an English Quiz within our sister app DoodleEnglish! Have a go at the quiz with your class and enter as a team for your chance to WIN a bundle of English games & goodies valued at £100!
You can find the quiz within the ‘Games’ section of DoodleEnglish.